JOY

Real contentment has nothing to do with either prosperity or poverty. Contentment is an inside job, the result of knowing God and living life against the backdrop of eternity.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

hitch on that hike


  Just another typical Fat Tuesday here in the Ro. I started my 7th grade devotions with an explanation of Lent which, of course turned into a conversation about the coolest things to sacrifice to represent the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert with Satan before beginning his ministry. 
STRAIGHT THUGS


Casey: "OOOoo Ms. Jessica! I'm going to give up Playstation!"

Ms. Jessica: "Oh snap, that is going to be tough, chief."

Van: "I'm going to give up Facebook!"

Ms. Jessica: "No more poking for you!"

Angela: "I'm going to give up soda!"

Ms. Jessica: "Angela, you don't drink soda. Doesn't count lady love."

Have I told you how much I adore these kids? We have a traditional Friday dance, they hug me before they go to class, they come by my room during recess to hang out and eat baleadas, and I'm going to miss them. We are currently rehearsing a Father's day dance to, yes, you guessed it. Will Smith's "Just the two of us." Taking it back to 1997. Big Willie Style.


I am also constantly amazed at the goodwill and grace of the people here in Roatan. I am trying to save every lempira I can, so paying $2 for a taxi ride home has become quite an absurdity. There are roughly 70,000 people living on this island and surprisingly 75% of the time we jump in the back of someone's truck, we know them. We live a solid 40 minutes away from school so the time between French Harbour and West End is time well spent with a new friend. Thank you Casey Jackson from Fantasy Island, Orville from Anthony's Key resort and Aaron from Sundowners. Oh, adventure, how I love thee.

More importantly, I am learning more and more each day about what it really looks like to follow the Lord wholeheartedly. Being here. Being surrounded by people who love me just the way I am. Being tempted by some of the same struggles I thought I could get away from. Being reminded daily of the many blessings we have. Being a not so smart little sheep who thought she knew so much before she got here and attempting to follow the voice of the shepherd has been exciting and frustrating and just down right good for the soul.


My sheep recognize my voice and follow me [John 10:27]



No comments:

Post a Comment