JOY

Real contentment has nothing to do with either prosperity or poverty. Contentment is an inside job, the result of knowing God and living life against the backdrop of eternity.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

hurricane party

Well, Hurricane Paula was coming to party on Roatan but she decided to skip up to the Yucatan Peninsula instead. Hooray! School was cancelled today because of the warnings and it was such a blessing because we all had LOTS of work to get done for our quarter tests coming up. Exciting times in Sandy Bay. It would also be exciting if I had some sort of word processing suite on my mac to make decent study guides. Note to self: buy Microsoft word ASAP.

Some lyrics to a song by http://www.tenthavenuenorth.com/ have hit me pretty hard as of late, thought I would share:

Why are you striving, these days?
Why are you trying, to earn grace?
Why are you looking, for love?
Why are you still searching, as if I'm not enough?
Please don't fight
These hands that are holding you

I am finding that I seem to always be on a constant quest and search for something new, something exciting, something worthy of my attention. I am usually seeking adventures, seeking experiences and I am usually not satisfied. I am a happy and joyful human being, but I never seem to be content. I find this to be somewhat of a selfish quality. Yes, seeking new thrills and finding hidden treasures is lovely and wonderful. I believe that the Lord gave us these tiny and beautiful minds for a reason, so we could not simply wrap them around the unfathomable awesomeness of His creation and be content. He gave us curiosity, a thirst for truth and goodness, inquisitive minds that are always asking "WHY?" or maybe more like "WHAT THE JUNK??" At least he did me.

epic fail photos - Petting Zoo FAIL

Paul explains to us in Philippians 4:12 that: He knows what it is to be in need, and he knows what it is to have plenty. He has learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Jeremiah 29:13 says: "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart."
Amos 5:4 says: "Seek me, and LIVE."
Psalm 27:8 says: "My heart says of you, "Seek His face!" Your face, Lord, I shall seek."
1 Chronicles 16:11 says: "Look to the Lord and His strength, seek His face always..."
Isaiah 1:17 says: "Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow."

The word "seek" is used approximately 244 times in the Bible.

No wonder we are constantly seeking. Although, my seeking is not always Godly. It is too often for earthly and material possessions, here and now moments, the Thai peanut bowl at the Noodle Shack, attention from boys and the approval of human beings.

Time to sneak a peek seek inside my heart and dump the trash.

Thank you Lord that your steadfast love is never ending and your mercies are new every morning. [Lamentations 3:22]

Our morning sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment