JOY

Real contentment has nothing to do with either prosperity or poverty. Contentment is an inside job, the result of knowing God and living life against the backdrop of eternity.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

motivate me

I love quotes. I have a running document of about 104 pages of quotes I have collected since high school. I keep this document on my desktop and I look at it frequently. Sharing! (a few) Happy hump day.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." -jack kerouac

Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and the unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. -Bertrand Russell

It's not about perfection; it's about our intimacy with God, or our connection, our relationship with God. Once we get through that, once we realize that we can be imperfect, flawed, broken; those kinds of things are the ingredients of spirituality. 
- Mike Yaconelli

Do the common things in life in an uncommon way. -Washington Carver

Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you; their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary. -Dead Poet's Society

Daniel Webster, the great American statesman who was considered by many to be the brightest man of his generation, was once asked, “what is the greatest thought you have ever contemplated? he replied, “the greatest thought I have ever had and the most important thing I have ever learned is that I am personally accountable to the God of all Creation. Imagine that! You and I (and every other person) will one day face the One who spoke the universe into existence, the One to whom we owe life itself. What an awesome thought, and what a motivation to live the right life, think the right thoughts, and speak the right words and do the right things.

No comments:

Post a Comment